Medical Coding Basics: How to Tab Your Books
We get a lot of questions about books here at Medical Coding Academy (MCA). Which book should I order? Is one publisher better than the other? There are advantages and disadvantages to some, but all work for the three-day course, at-home study, exams and any other use you may have for them.
Let’s discuss their advantages and disadvantages, then give you some tips about how to code your books so you get the most out of them. For this blog post, we’ll be covering the ICD-10-CM.
Medical Coding Publishers: Advantages and Disadvantages
Let’s take a look at some of the different ICD-10 book publishers and give you a little information about them:
- ICD-10-CM by the AMA: This book by the American Medical Association features a great design with appropriate white space, easy-to-read font and colorful illustrations at the back. It can get a little wobbly since it’s on rings instead of a spine, however.
- ICD-10 CM Expert by the AAPC: This one could also benefit from a spine and features small, hard-to-read font. The red and blue font helps text jump out at you and may be preferred for people who can read smaller font. It’s also well organized and illustrated.
- 2019 ICD-10-CM by Buck’s: This is usually the most preferred publisher and book by students, most likely due to the fact it already comes color coded. It does feature rings like the other publishers, however, as well as small print.
- ICD-10-CM by PMIC: Not very much color at all with this publisher, however there is large font, easy-to-read symbols and it’s on a spine, so it’s more comfortable and easier to navigate. It’s also my personal favorite.
To get even more commentary about the above publishers (and get information about the following section as well), watch this video:
How to Tab Your Medical Coding Books
Now that you have some information about ICD-10-CM publishers, let’s talk about how to tab your books so they’re all easier to navigate and use. Here are the basic steps involved in tabbing your books:
- Buy the MCA Tabbing System.
- Read the instructions page (or watch the video above).
- Write the section titles on the tabs and get them ready for placement.
- Place the title tabs as appropriate in your book, using the template as a guide.
- Place the guideline tabs in your book as well, using the template again as a guide.
- Use your tabbed book to quickly study and reference for your exam!